Kwik Match, the UK’s main automotive servicing and restore firm, is urging motorists to be prepared for the chilly spell with a easy five-point guidelines.
The checks spell out the phrase BLAST and are straightforward to recollect when icy climate is predicted.
Kwik Match has highlighted the important thing elements which could be susceptible to chilly climate and are very important for making certain your automotive could be relied on in winter, particularly it has been used much less regularly than beforehand.
- Battery. Batteries must work more durable to start out a automotive in chilly temperatures with issues typically solely turning into obvious when it’s too late. If a battery has struggled to start out a automotive in hotter climate, a chilly snap could place too large a requirement on it
- Lights. The significance of working lights is apparent through the shorter hours of daylight, not solely to see however to be seen
- Antifreeze/coolant. Anti-freeze will defend the engine at low temperatures, however solely on the appropriate stage and focus so the situation of the liquid within the reservoir and system needs to be checked
- Screen. Visibility could be poor in winter climate, so drivers ought to be sure their display situation doesn’t comprise it additional. Display screen wash stage and wiper blade situation needs to be checked, in addition to the glass for any chips or cracks. If not repaired, these can change into extra susceptible in chilly climate. By no means use boiling water to clear icy glass because the very sudden temperature change brings a threat of it cracking
- Tyres. As the one level of contact with the highway, having tyres in good situation is much more vital when surfaces are slippery. Drivers ought to verify tread depth, pressures and likewise sidewall situation. They need to additionally be certain that their spare is able to use if wanted, or if their automotive has an emergency sealant package they know the way to use it
“The primary chilly spell of a yr at all times reveals issues with automobiles that are a shock to their homeowners,” mentioned Roger Griggs of Kwik Match.
“The most typical of those is battery failure which may occur with little or no warning. A engine which was beginning throughout hotter autumn months could merely be an excessive amount of for an previous or worn battery when the temperature drops.
“Within the case of tyres, drivers could not have observed extreme or uneven put on till they want most grip in slippery situations – and at that time it could be too late.
“As is at all times the case in motoring checks and upkeep, prevention is significantly better than treatment, so we urge drivers to hold out winter BLAST checks upfront of any journeys they should make.”